The Geographical Museum GIAM ZRC SAZU is a special unit of the Anton Melik Geographical Institute ZRC SAZU. It collects, preserves and manages the cartographic, visual and archive material. In 1946, the museum was founded as an independent national institution subject to the Ministry of Education, and in 2002 it became a part of the Anton Melik Geographical Institute.
The Museum houses numerous old maps and atlases, and some minor collections of photographs, data and books. The Cartographic Collection consists of maps of different contents and sizes dating from the 16th century to present days, topographic maps, school maps and atlases. Most of the material is related to the Slovenian territory and the neighbouring countries. The most precious items are definitely the following: first edition of Valvasor’s Glory of the Carniola Dukedom, Münster edition of Ptolemay’s Geography and Florijančič map of Carniola from 1744. The material is used mainly for educational purposes, but is sometimes put on display at thematic exhibitions and workshops.