The year of 2004 saw the beginning of the restoration process of the museum building which has been the home of the Regional Museum of Maribor since 1938.
In 2006 the first part of a new permanent exhibition was put on display. The exhibition presents the history of the Museum whose beginnings reach back to 1903, and its numerous collections: Archaeological Collection, Art Collection, Ethnological Collection, Numismatic Collection, Maribor Collection, Costume Collection, Pharmacologic Collection, Craft Collection, Musical Instrument Collection, Domestic Culture Collection and Weaponry Collection.
Since 2007 visitors have been able to visit the lower floor of the castle bastille, which houses an exhibition of the establishment and development of the city. The latter exhibition is coupled with a presentation of the Italian fort architects dell’Allies from the middle of the 16th century, and an exhibition of old weaponry.