The first mention of the Lendava Castle in annals dates back to 1192, but it wasn't until the 18th century that the Castle acquired its present image. It now houses the seat of the Lendava Gallery-Museum, which was established in 1973. As the very name suggests, the institution performs both museum and gallery activities.
The Gallery Collection consists of the Lendava art heritage and collections of art works created at traditional international art colonies.
The Museum Collection presents a permanent archaeological, historical and ethnological exhibition and a memorial room of György Zala, the most famous Lendava sculptor.
In addition to its permanent exhibitions, the Museum-Gallery also hosts numerous fine art and museum temporary exhibitions. The latest acquirement is a museum outhouse in the town’s main street entitled “Citizenship, Typography and Umbrella Manufacturing in Lendava”.